Diamond Black Hearted Boy – e (s/r)
Published on August 15th, 2012
What is this ? I need help. Rarely am I stuck with no frame of reference but this has bedeviled me. I think the most constructive way for me to go about this review is to do a list of pros and cons because I don’t know whether I like it or not.
- Great cover shot of man with “e” shaved into theback of his head
- Great name for an album and artist
- Totally weird, possibly could be considered experimental
- Does not feature nasal, bored auto-tuned knobheads muttering inanities
- Covers DIY genres such as “slimepunk” and “.”
- Mostly has songs called e with a numeric denominator
- Too loud and needs more care mixing
- So minimal it can get boring and/or repetitive
- Impossible to dance to or whistle along with
That’s actually quite helpful. It appears that I like this album but with some reservations. I am intrigued enough to explore his other stuff but I’m unlikely to be hammering this EP more than I already have in an effort to understand what the fuck he’s doing. If you’re going to have a go at this my recommendation would be his remix of “Cold Light” or “Be Still And Know”. Interesting.
- Wirewound – Wirewound EP (Acre Recordings)
Look ! It’s a prodigious multi talented electronic musician releasing music under an alter ego ! Where ? Everywhere it seems. Personally I struggle to write these reviews let alone manage the effort...
- Kingbastard – Brainfunk (Herb Recordings)
Unusually for me I actually have some idea of who Kingbastard is, having stumbled upon him on the Intranought a while ago. Creator of well produced and quirkily upbeat IDM tunes I remember mentally ...
- Trigger Effect – Escape From Planet Scorpion (Indica/Silver Rocket)
A two song release of dramatic metal that also fits in the punk / progressive Venn diagram, with melodic guitar solos, punchy riffs and occasionally memorable lyrics. It’s never exactly disappointin...
- Cyclea – Complea Complay EP (s/r)
You wake trapped in a glass box. As you sit up a twinkly digital noise sounds. You turn your head, which triggers another noise. As you swing your feet to the floor yet more noises sound. Intrigue...
- DELS – Black Salad (Ninja Tune)
I don’t normally review stuff I buy because it would weaken my authority as the premier music reviewer in the known universe. For some reason however I never got invited to review DELS “Gob” album...